I woke up a few days ago with a dark cloud hanging over me. Ironically the very thing that I wasn’t happy about was once the apple of my eye. It was what made me feel as snug as a bug in a rug. 😉
However, this very thing I once loved was choking the living daylights out of me with every breathe I took. I was petrified that I had to get up and show up to the very thing that I had fallen out of love with.
I escaped that dark cloud for a week and a half and I had the best times ever, despite having to wake up earlier than I normally do and working more than usual. I would get to bed gratefully tired and looking forward to the next day. I was excited and on my A-game.
Fast forward to this week and I am back to the not so efficient me coz I am back to the very environment that has gradually snuffed my joy over the past few months. The same questions, the same conversations, the same….the same…etc.
I wonder what happened to the spark and excitement I once had . I remember I would look forward to being present and on time and engaged in what lay before me. Then, ghafla bin fu…the magic was lost.
An enterprise that was meant to help others has turned into “something” that ensnares you in a “scratch my back, I scratch yours” institution. Its really frustrating having to seek out ways to help out that are not agreeable to those around you due to well established “ground rules”.
Well, I guess this has gone on too long. Its time to break the cycle.
Its about time.
One fine day, a while ago, I asked for challenges from my friends and this is what they sent back. 😉
- Make an avocado rose
- Go bungee jumping
- White water rafting
- Start a counselling mentorship program
- Do 10 press ups and skip rope for 30 minutes daily
- Dye my hair(whole head and not brown or black)
- Make 10 lapel flower pieces
- Climb Mt. Longonot & walk around the rim at the top
Plant 33 trees ( 3 Trees planted so far…30 more to go.)
Start a crafts school for young ones (Boundless Joy Craft Club)
- Do aerobics for 2 weeks
- Prepare a fancy 3 course dinner for @ least 15 people
- Go on a holiday alone for at least two days at a nice hotel or resort
- Learn to play a music instrument
- Do a major random act of kindness to a stranger ( can’t give money)
- Do something you are really scared of
- Approach and ask a guy I have a crush on out on a date
- Take driving classes
- Go dancing all night on my birthday
- Make suggested book art
- Take a vacation in Kisumu and prepare fish the “Kisumu” way
- Perfect my swimming skills
- Wear knee length dresses and skirts plus 3 inch heels/ wedges for a month
- Bake birthday cake for Kate’s baby girl by April 5th 2017
Draw a portrait of Kate’s daughter as she is at 4 months (to be shared soon)
Start a blog and share my daily reflections (faithmutegi.wordpress.com) 😉
- Wear lipstick and other makeup of my choice and send a selfie to the group
- Climb Mt. Kenya
- Sing/Karaoke Adele’s “Hello”
- Read a novel each month
Participate in a marathon/walk (whichever comes first) (Standard Chartered Marathon; Family Fun Run;October, 2016)
- Learn to play chess
- BE AWESOME.
I am done with the comfort zone. Its been way too long and I can’t wait to get past the foggy/dormant state I have been. There has got to be more to life than just showing up and crunching numbers to survive the next month or so.
Having tried to do this all by myself, its time to head out to whatever corner, mountain or valley this next phase of my life takes me.
You are welcome to join me as I share my thoughts and experiences as I dare my comfortable, safe self to endless possibilities and most especially getting past the initial thrill of achievement and actually sticking to the very end.
Well, enough said…for now.
All the best as you cross off stuff from your…
HAPPY NEW MONTH!